Sunday, May 06, 2007

See Harry, See Richard


I was never a big fan of comic superheroes. Superman, Batman, X-Men, they strike me as fleeting fads. I might however, make an exception for Wonder Woman but I don’t think that movie is ever coming out. The latest superhero flick, Spiderman 3 is now at a cinema near us and as usual, I was not particularly keen on catching it. Nevertheless, I ended up giving it a go as some friends who were drunk or high on crack remarked that I resembled Harry Osborn, a character in the Spiderman franchise whose life is intricately tied to your friendly neighbourhood superhero, Peter Parker.

Harry and Peter share an amazingly dramatic relationship throughout the three movies. Initially, starting off as the best of friends, things become complicated and their relationship hits many a rocky patch. Things all but improve when Harry blames Spiderman for the death of his father (The original Green Goblin) and it gets even more pear shaped when Harry discovers that Peter is actually Spiderman. Originally unable to bring himself to stab Peter when he had the chance, Harry is consumed by hate and bitterness. He decides to finish the job his father started and put an end to his once best friend. Biding his time and fueled by an insatiable rage, Harry plots and waits.

The third Spiderman movie sees Harry taking on the role of The New Goblin and he wastes no time in getting even with Peter. Confronting his old friend, Harry pushes him to the brink and beyond for the most part of the movie, albeit for a brief spell of amnesia where Harry momentarily forgets his hatred for Peter and in fact declares that he would die for him. At the end of the movie, Peter seeks Harry’s help as the odds are too great for Spiderman alone. Harry in his role as The New Goblin could help even the balance in the effort to save a common friend in her plight, Mary Jane.

Harry initially turns his back on Peter but changes his stance after some soul searching and discovering the hurtful truth. Coming to Peter’s aid in the nick of time, Harry contributes massively and the day is won, but with a cost. Laying done his life for Peter, Harry uses himself as a human shield and is impaled in Peter’s place. And as the dust clears, Harry and Peter share a final moment together. The friendship is restored and I recalled a quote from JFK. “Geography made us neighbours. History made us friends. Necessity made us allies. Those whom God joined together, let no man put asunder.”

Although I find it slightly humourous that I can be compared to Harry Osborn (I’m not half as good looking and I’m not 1% as rich), I respect the comparison as far as a change of heart is concerned. I was a very angry and bitter individual in the not so distant past and for that I apologize. If any of you want to remember me, please remember me for who I am now. Remember me as an idealist without illusions. Remember me as one who enjoys the comfort of receiving while enduring the discomfort of giving. Remember me as one who loses himself. Remember me for a heart of flesh instead of a heart of stone. I believe in Christ and stand on His rock. That is my conviction for myself and my commitment to you. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. Remember me this way.

2 comments:

Dave said...

hehehe... Thank God all of us are all "work in progress", I have a feeling that i'd like the future 'you' even more! of course, the present one will do for now :D

R1ch@rD said...

Thanks for reassuring me. Sometimes, change can lead to status anxiety and in moments like this, words like yours are golden. As it is written, better to build up than to break down. Thank you. :)