Thursday, May 24, 2007

Never on Thursday (The Superficial)

I got my first car accident on a Thursday. I broke up twice on a Thursday. I got mugged on a Thursday. Yup, I was the victim of an attempted burglary on a Thursday, no prizes there. And no, it does not get any better as my favourite pooch, Pongo died on a Thursday as well. To add insult to injury, lightning decided to get chummy with me on a Thursday and my modem and router were fried.

Yes, I was playing WoW during the storm. Don’t laugh. It was in the middle of a 20 men raid. I had a commitment to 19 other gals and blokes! Raiding is serious business okay! Frankly though, if I had the choice, Thursday would be taken off the calendar. While I’m not superstitious, I can do little but accept the sad, sad, fact that Thursday has never gotten along with me. Almost sounds like a relationship eh? Well, it’s an awfully bad one and Thursday is one bad woman. Jezebel! Bad! BAD!

Be careful what you wish for because you just might get it all. A few weeks ago, I hoped for a speedy end to the exams and a quick transition from schoolboy to penguin (Office people walk in a line. The blind lead the blind and when one falls, they all fall). A speedy exam is one thing but it is another thing to have your weakest paper moved up by six days. Lesson no. 1: Keep your big fat mouth shut! But it is all good. A fast end can’t be that bad right? At least, I could look forward to a good holiday, or so I thought, for the fickle hand of fate ensured that the twist of events was anything but.

Everybody has a summer holiday. Doing things they always wanted to. Fun and laughter on a summer holiday; no more worries for me, for me and you. “Dear Richard, please be informed that we would like to make an amendment to our prior appointment. You will be interviewed immediately after our lunch.” I’m going where the sun shines brightly. I’m going where the sea is blue Siaran tergendala. How can like that!

22 hours after my final paper and I’m up for an interview on Thursday! THURSDAY! Pete’s sakes! Oh well, I wanted it fast didn’t I? Yes, the fact that Thursday didn’t excite me too much either. But still, I looked forward to the opportunity with great anticipation. And I made plans to ensure that this Thursday would be special. Of course, I prayed to the Big Fella Upstairs for insurance. Contingency plans are important ok? That’s Management 101 for you. Deciding to take it all on the chin, I put my best foot forward in faith believing that this Thursday would be special. Lesson no. 2: He comes to make all things new. So you’d better live that way. I scheduled my Thursday. I wanted it to be special.

Lunch with a sister and a good conversation set me in the mood. Oh, and let’s not forget the food. Game 1: Richard. Meeting another sister in the industry put me in the groove. And more roti bakar added the vroom. Come on roti, light my fire! Game 2: Richard. Calm before the storm. And the moment and truth came and lo and behold, up stepped Tweedledum and Tweedledee who were supposed to interview me! And they actually look human! And what was poor old Richard supposed to do? Poor boy, he was so full and lost in the woods. And as the interviewer spoke, the poor boy spoke up, “Grandma… what big teeth you have!” Laugh now.

For the first time in many Thursdays, time flew by. And as the interview ended, I felt a deep sense of satisfaction. All glory to Him! Game, set and match: Jesus! The Thursday curse is over! And looking back, i paired up twice with lady luv on Thursdays as well. For on Thursday you were made and to Thursday you will return. Thus sayeth the... okay, okay. But nevertheless, for safety purposes, Thursday is still an off limits zone until road repairs are completed. I apologize for the inconvenience caused.


NEVER ON THURSDAY

Oh you can kiss me on a Monday, a Monday, a Monday

Is very, very good.

Oh you can kiss me on a Tuesday, a Tuesday, a Tuesday,

In fact I wish you would.

Oh you can kiss me on a Wednesday, a Friday, a Sunday,

And Saturday is best,

But never, never on a Thursday, a Thursday, a Thursday,

Coz that's my day of rest.



P.S. Dedicated to Hannah and Sarah for making this Thursday an enjoyable one! You girls rock!

No comments: